During milking via hands, equipment and towels used for milking
Mainly subclinical (no changes in milk or signs in cow). A
few cows repeatedly have clinical flare-ups.
Culture of milk samples. California mastitis test (CMT). Somatic
cell counts (SCC) on individual cows.
Resistant to penicillin-type antibiotics. Most antibiotics
fail to reach infected tissue and bacteria.
Estimated Cure Rates - Low
- Antibiotic treatment during lactation - < 10%
- Antibiotic treatment at dry-off time - < 20%
NOTE: Even lower cure rates can be expected for long-standing
- Use separate paper towels for prepping each cow.
- Dip the teats of all cows post-milking with a licensed teat
- Milk infected cows last or with a separate unit.
- Dry treat all cows.
- Purchase uninfected cows or heifers.