OMAFRA currently invests over 60 million annually in research and
innovation through a number of programs in the following seven theme
- Agricultural and Rural Policy
- Bioeconomy-Industrial Uses
- Emergency Management
- Environmental Sustainability
- Food for Health
- Product Development and Enhancement Through Value Chains
- Production Systems - Animals and Plants
This funding supports eight, theme-based research programs under
the OMAFRA-University of Guelph Partnership and the related infrastructure
(three agricultural colleges campuses and 14 research stations) helps
build core capacity in agri-food research.
Open, competitive programs such as Food Safety and New Directions
address various combinations of the above theme areas and address
emerging issues and shorter term priorities.