Agricultural and Horticultural Societies: Completing & Submitting 2020 Annual Return

How to Complete and Submit your Annual Return

Submit online through Transfer Payment Ontario (TPON)

  1. Note: Before proceeding you MUST make sure your society is registered in TPON and your contact information is current. If your society is not registered in TPON you must register first.
  2. Log on to TPON by signing into your One-Key ID and password.
  3. From TPON home screen select the See Funding Opportunities tile and then select the Submit Reports to Ministry tile. Click on Annual Return to begin the filing process. Guidelines can be found on our Ministry website or in TPON.
  4. If your banking information or address has changed you must update this by completing the Supplier Registration and Application for Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer Form. A link to the form can be found here.

For Transfer Payment Ontario (TPON) questions, please contact:

Transfer Payment Ontario Client Care from Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 pm, except for statutory holidays, at:

  • Tel: 416-325-6691
  • Toll-free: 1-855-216-3090
  • TTY: 416-325-3408
  • Toll-free TTY: 1-800-268-7095
  • Email:

If you are not able to submit your application electronically, send an email to and request a copy of the application. You can also reach out to your Regional Contact.


(See the "Guide for Completing the Annual Return & Grant Application" for details)

All sections of the application form are complete.

Two authorized signing officers have signed application (for paper copy submissions only).

List of incoming Executive Officers and Directors including contact information

Reviewed Annual Financial Statements

Report from Auditor (Reviewed by professional accounting person) OR

Financial Review Certificate (Reviewed by non-professional accounting persons)

All receipts for expenditures retained in your files

Keep a copy for your Society's file

For more information:
Toll Free: 1-877-424-1300