Growing Hops in Ontario
Commercial hop production is re-emerging across the province of Ontario. Hop cones are the female inflorescence of the hop plant and are well known for their use in brewing beer. Depending on the cultivar, hops will produce various levels of alpha acids, beta acids and oils. The level of these compounds classifies each hop cultivar as either an aromatic hop (for aroma) or a bittering hop (for flavour). Ontario's craft brewing industry is currently the largest buyer of Ontario grown hops.
Aside from the brewing process hops are also used as a medicinal herb. Traditionally hops were used in teas or tinctures as a sedative to reduce tension and aid in digestion or stuffed into pillows as a sleep aid. Today, hops are still found in herbal products for these purposes.
Hops are also widely grown as ornamental garden plants and can be dried for use in decorative garlands or arrangements.
This webpage provides information related to commercial hop production covering such topics as hop production basics, pest management, business and marketing, meetings and educational days and other related subjects.
Hop Production Basics
- Hop Production Profile, OMAFRA
- Hop Fertility Guidelines
- 2020 Hop Pest Control Products List
- Introduction to Hop Production (Smiths Falls 2016 Presentation by Evan Elford)
- Introduction to Hop Pest Management (Smiths Falls 2016 Presentation by Dr. Melanie Filotas)
- Hop Harvest Timelines in Ontario
Enterprise Budgets for Small Scale Hops Production (USA Hops; Michigan State University; University of Vermont)
Available as downloadable Excel spreadsheets.
- Growing hops in Ontario: A look back on brewer considerations in 2009
- Ontario Hop Growers Association
Hop Plant Growth Stages
- BBCH Scale PDF (60.76 kb)
Hop Yard Construction
- Small Scale & Organics Hop Production Manual, Left Fields, B.C.
- Hop Trellis Parts List, Simple Earth Hops
Trellis Parts and Suppliers
- Gintec Shade Technologies Inc.
- Guelph Utility Pole Company Limited
- Oakland Shading Company, 1592 Regional Road 19 W, Scotland, ON N0E 1V0 Tel: 519-446-3304
- 2016 Hop Pest Control Products List
- Prototype Hop Sprayer, OMAFRA
- Airblast Sprayer Calibration, Order No. 10-047
- Field and Backpack Sprayer Calibration, OMAFRA
- WSU Hop Handbook 2009
- WSU Hop Pocket Guide
Hop Moisture Calculator
- UVM Hop Harvest Moisture Calculator, University of Vermont
Post-harvest Services (harvesting, pelletizing, etc.)
- Bighead Hops
- Coopérative de solidarité Houblon Pontiac (CSHP)
- Ontario Agri-Food Venture Centre (OAFVC)
Hop Analytical Testing
- A&L Canada Laboratories Inc (Ontario)
- Alliance Analytical Labs (Michigan)
- Houblon des Appalaches (Québec)
- NC Research & Innovation
Ontario Hop Events
Great Hop Resources
For more information:
Toll Free: 1-877-424-1300