Popular Inquiries

What weeds are on the provincial noxious weed list?

In Ontario, 25 weeds are designated as noxious under the Weed Control Act. A list of these weeds is found below and more information on them can be found here: Noxious Weeds in Ontario.

Noxious Weeds in Ontario effective January 1, 2015

The intent of the Weed Control Act is to reduce:

  1. The infestation of noxious weeds that negatively impact on agriculture and horticulture lands.
  2. Plant diseases by eliminating plant disease hosts such as common barberry and European buckthorn.
  3. Health hazards to livestock and agricultural workers caused by poisonous plants.

In general, a species designated as a noxious weed under the Weed Control Act is one that:

  • Is difficult to manage on agricultural land once established and will reduce the yield and quality of the crop being grown;
  • Negatively affects the health and well-being of livestock; or
  • Poses a risk to the health and well-being of agricultural workers.

How do I qualify for the Farm Property Class Tax Program?

To be eligible to apply, you must be able to answer "yes" to the following questions:

Do you own farmland?

Your property is assessed as farmland by the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC).

Is the property being used for a farming business?

Your property is actively being farmed by yourself or by a tenant farmer or both.

Does the farming business generate at least $7,000 a year?

The annual gross income generated by the farming business is at least $7,000, as reported to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).

For information on exemptions, see Annual gross farm income exemptions.

How do I get a Farm Business Registration number?

You can apply for a FBR number through Agricorp. In order to qualify, your previous year's gross farm income must be at least $7,000.

To remain valid, you must renew your FBR number annually and maintain a $7,000 annual farm gross income.

Are the farmland owners Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada or a corporation?

If the property is owned by an individual or a group of individuals, each person must be either a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada.

If the property is owned by a corporation, more than 50 per cent of the voting shares must be legally owned by individuals who are either Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada. In other words, it is not sufficient if the voting shares are legally owned by another corporation and then that corporation's voting shares are owned by individuals who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents in Canada.

For more information, visit: Farm Property Class Tax Rate Program

Where can I find a listing of certified nutrient management consultants?

A list of certified nutrient management consultants can be found on the University of Guelph's Ridgetown Campus website. Information on how you can become a certified nutrient management consultant can be viewed here: Nutrient Management Education, Training and Certification.

How do I start a food business?

Starting a food business is an exciting venture. There are many things to consider before you begin, including:

  • location and zoning (including rental and shared space)
  • regulations
  • food safety
  • packaging and labelling
  • insurance.

For more information, visit: Starting a food processing business.

Who should I contact if I suspect possible exposure to rabies?

Rabies is still a federally reportable disease in Canada. That means that human and animal health professionals must report suspected cases to the appropriate authorities. If you think you, or someone you know, may have been exposed to rabies (including bites from domestic or wild animals) you should contact your doctor or local public health unit. Animal owners should report any potential exposure of their animals to their veterinarian, and OMAFRA can provide additional assistance to veterinarians in these cases as needed (particularly facilitating testing). For more information on rabies, please visit: Rabies exposure in Ontario.

Where can I find the Survey of Ontario Custom Farmwork Rates charged in 2015?

Survey results of rates charged in 2015 by 220 Ontario custom farmwork operators are summarized on a provincial basis and also by 6 smaller regional areas. Where available the provincial average 2012 rates are also listed. The 2012 survey is the previous survey to the 2015 survey. To view the survey results, please visit: Survey of Ontario Custom Farmwork Rates charged in 2015.

I think I have a Brown Marmorated Stink Bug (BMSB) specimen, what should I do?

Indoor Control Options: Mechanical exclusion is the most effective way to prevent BMSB from entering structures. Seal all cracks, repair or replace damaged screens, and remove or cover window-mounted air conditioners prior to the fall. Live or dead stink bugs that have made their way indoors can be removed using a vacuum cleaner or shop vac (promptly dispose of vacuum bags or contents as the odour will persist). BMSB do not bite and they do not reproduce inside structures. The use of insecticides is not recommended.

Outdoor Control Options: While BMSB is established in urban areas, infestations have not been detected in crops in Ontario. There are several insecticides registered for use against BMSB in Canada, however action thresholds are not available for most crops. Management strategies are under development. For more information, visit the OMAFRA BMSB website.

To Report Having Brown Marmorated Stink Bugs:

A sample or high quality pictures are required for identification. Pictures of BMSB and look-alikes can be found at www.ontario.ca/stinkbug. If you think you have found BMSB, contact the Agriculture Information Contact Centre at 1-877-424-1300 or email ag.info.omafra@ontario.ca, and we will provide you with instructions on what to do with the sample. For the most recent map (US and Canada), as well as reports and presentations, visit www.stopBMSB.org.

For more information:
Toll Free: 1-877-424-1300
E-mail: ag.info.omafra@ontario.ca